Sunday, July 7, 2013

LAWRENCE WELK presents a guest champagne lady : BETTY COX



DotR

DLP 3252

A DIVISON OF
Paramount Pictures

A LONG PLAY
ULTRA HIGH FIDELITY
RECORDING



LAWRENCE WELK presents a guest champagne lady

BETTY COX



Some years ago, I was very impressed by the work of a young vocalist who was then singing at the Paxton Hotel in Omaha, Nebraska. Her name was Betty Cox and she was working with the orchestra of a friend of mine, Paul Morehead. During our frequent tours through that area, I continued to hear glowing reports about her singing. At that time I frequently had it in mind to ask her if she would like to join our organization, but somehow it never came about.

Recently, I was delighted to receive a set of audition tapes from a vocalist named Betty Cox. Sure enough, it was the same girl. She sent the tapes to us when she heard about our search for a new Champagne Lady. I was just as impressed with her singing as I had been before.

Although we are inviting the audience to pick our Champagne Lady, I decided that I would like to be associated with Betty and present her fine talent to the public. As a result, we brought her to Los Angeles as a Guest Champagne Lady and recorded this album.

Betty has selected a fine group of romantic songs. Each is perfectly suited to her excellent voice and style of presentation. She gives such favorites as Did I Remember, My Wonderful One, Smile and others a warm, fresh feeling. I feel certain that all of my wonderful listeners will enjoy this fine performance by our Guest Champagne Lady.

Lawrence Welk


Betty Cox was born near the town of Kearney, Nebraska. A member of a musical family (her father is still champion old-time fiddler of Nebraska), she began singing for others at the age of ten. All during her adolescence, Betty sang at every opportunity, and there were many. She performed on the radio, at fairs, in church, in school and was in constant demand.

After high school, Betty began singing with a dance band in Grand Island, Nebraska. Shortly after that she joined the Paul Morehead orchestra for a total of five years at the Paxton Hotel in Omaha. It was here that Lawrence Welk first heard her sing.

Then Betty went to New York and won the Arthur Godfrey "Talent Scout" show. She appeared on his shows several times and, as a result, began a regular morning TV show with George Skinner.

For the past two-and-one-half years, Betty has ben in semi-retirement, living with her parent sin Colorado. It was during this time that she heard of Welk's search for a Champagne Lady. She submitted tapes of her singing and was immediately invited to make this album. The listener will doubtless agree that it was an invitation well extended and superbly accepted.



SIDE ONE:

Did I Remember
To Each His Own
Take Me In Your Arms
I Cried For You
All Of A Sudden (You're In Love)
Smile


SIDE TWO:

Red Sails In The Sunset
Wonderful One
I'll Get By
My Ideal
My Buddy
Don't Worry 'Bout Me


No comments:

Post a Comment